Monday, March 21, 2011

The Trouble with Hipsters

Every day I walk past Roma Cafe the smell of expresso fills the air, and the sound of happy people chatting hits my ears ...and am extremely careful not to step in dog shit. Along with the large amounts of dog shit that somehow end up on that side of the street in that particular corner, another thing bothers me about this specific location. The mother fucking hipsters. Now I am not one to be judging other people but hipsters drive me crazy. I can pretty much feel them staring at my running shoes and Buffs gear being like "She is so conformist, I bet she even likes top 40 music." Well yeah I do like top 40, it's super catchy and I'd like to see these hipsters bump and grind to their Alternative Rock. Anyways I hate Cafe Roma because of the judgement thrown at me.

For those of you that don't know what hipsters are: They are trendy non-conformists. They typically hang out at casual coffee shops, and like read poetry. They don't like the things that the general public does and they usually wear black thick framed glasses and do something artistic.
It's like when film majors come up to you and are like I saw this really cool film that had this super cool thing.... but you wouldn't understand... boom hipster judgement. I know this about hipster film majors because I am a film major... and I get talked to by the older film majors like this.

Today was terrifying. After a long day of filming I went to see my friend Kristin at work and snag some free food. I was planning on sitting down and doing some relaxing with the new book I got. After grabbing my food and my chai I began the read... As most people who have ever met me know, I get distracted quite easily... my mind began to wander
My Mind: I'm really glad I got my glasses this is easier to read.... Glad I took a chance on these thick black frames... I like the way I look..... man I need new clothes I haven't bought many new things in a while..... Mmmmmm delish Chai..... I love the way Saxys looks, it's so trendy...... ahhhhhh Edgar Allan Poe and Jack Kerouac, can't wait to dive into you.... man there is still some film in my ugly ass purse... long day of artistic filming......FUCK
FUCK
I'm a god damn hipster...
SHIT
I had just listed all of the qualities necessary for a judgy mcjudgerson hipster.... Artistic career choice, thick rimmed glasses, poetry, non-conformist clothes, trendy coffee shop, LIBERAL.... All I was missing was the side swept bangs and the better than you attitude. I panicked and texted Jilian in need for someone to put my mind at ease that this was simply a mistake.
"You're not a hipster, you are Siobhan" the ever wise Jilian reassured me
"Siobhan disguised in hipster trends"I replied
"Sure" Jilian replied, obviously not concerned of the disgustingness I had brought upon myself... After enough calming down I was fine and only needed a shot to reaffirm my Siobhanness.

No comments:

Post a Comment